I've been experimenting with a few 'fairy cake' recipes, and found this one, from the Hairy Bikers, has the nicest texture and keeps the best, so you dont have to eat them all
on the same day!
Oven: 180 deg. C
Ingredients: - makes 12
7ozs. (200g) self-raising flour
1 tsp. bi carb.
3ozs. (75g) caster or golden caster sugar
3.5 ozs. blueberries (optional)
1 unwaxed lemon zest - finely grated
2 free range eggs - beaten
1/4 pt. (150 ml) low-fat natural yogurt (or double cream)
2 tblspns. semi-skimmed milk (or little more if needed)
2 fl.oz. (50ml.) sunflower oil
3.5ozs.(100g) icing sugar
4 tsps. fresh lemon juice
1. preheat oven. and line a 12 hole muffin/fairy cake tin with paper cups
2. Sift the flour and bi-carb and stir in the sugar, (blueberries) and lemon zest.
3. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs, then beat in the yogurt, milk and oil.
4. Stir into the flour and mix together - lightly.
5. Divide the batter evenly into the paper cups and bake for 16-18 minutes until the cakes are well risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
6. Ice with the lemon icing when cool.
Sandwich a dollop of lemon curd in the centre with a blob of batter on top. (These are technical terms! :o) )
You could also use jam.