Sunday, 4 February 2018
Date Syrup Cake - quick, easy and yummy
Oven: 170 deg. C
Bake: approx. 30mins/45 mins. or until cooked (!)
Ingredients - small cake:
125 g date syrup **
100g plain flour
1 large teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
100g caster sugar#pinch of salt
125 ml milk
1 beaten egg
1. Melt the butter gently with the date syrup. Stirring. Remove from heat to cool slightly.
2. Sift together all the dry ingredients
3. Beat the egg and milk together.
4. Add the egg and milk to the dry ingredients, then gently stir in (or electric whisk) the butter and syrup. This should make a nice gloopy mixture. *
4. Pour into a baking tin (6" x 8" x 1.5") - use a paper liner, which saves you greasing the tin.
5. Test with a skewer to see if cooked through.
6. Cool on a wire rack.
*You could add some sultanas or raisins to this cake. Dredge some flour over them before adding in to the mixture.*
**This is also the recipe for a gingerbread cake, so you could replace the date syrup for golden syrup.