This recipe is from BBC Good Food - (slightly adapted).
FOR THE SCOTCH EGGS
- 400g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 400g skinned smoked haddock , cut into large chunks
- 8 eggs (or 16 quails eggs)
- 25g butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 50g plain flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 100g breadcrumbs
- sunflower oil , for frying
FOR THE WATERCRESS MAYONNAISE
- Bring the potatoes to the boil and place the haddock and eggs in the same water. Cook until the potatoes are soft and the haddock begins to flake.
- Cook the eggs for 3-4 mins. (2 mins for quails eggs). Remove the eggs, running them under cold water, and peel.
- When cooked, drain the fish and potatoes. Mash the fish and potatoes together with the butter and milk, till you have a thick mash.
- Peel the eggs and when everything is cool, mould the 'mash' around the eggs.
- Dip into flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Chill for at least an hour (or overnight).
- Then: heat a good layer of Sunflower Oil in a frying pan and fry the eggs until crisp on all sides. Drain on kitchen paper.
- For the Watercress Mayo : blitz the watercress with the lemon juice until finely chopped, stir in the mayo.
- You can also serve this dish with Asparagus.