This pic does look like a bit of a 'lump' - but we ate the rest! It does taste delicious!
1kg.mix of sultanas, raisins and currants (or mix of choice)
2.1/2 cups (625ml) fruit juice
2 cups of self-raising flour
tsp of ground ginger
tsp of cinnamon
if you like the mix sweeter - you can add honey or maple syrup (or sugar) - to taste, or use a sweetened fruit juice.
1. Place dried fruit and 2 cups of fruit juice into your saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 mins. Remove from heat and leave to cool for about 2hrs.
3. Preheat the oven to 150 deg.C (fan oven) or 170deg.C conventional oven.
4. Line a 20cm. round spring form tin and set aside.
5. Sift the SR Flour and spices over the dried fruit mix and stir well to combine. Use the remaining fruit juice if the mixture is too thick.
6. Pour into your tin and bake for about 2hrs. on the lowest shelf.
7. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
8. Wrap in foil and keep in an airtight container for 2-3 days before slicing.
- you can also pierce the cake, when cooled and add some alcohol of choice :)