Oven: 160 deg. C - approximately 40 - 50 mins.
4ozs. of soft margarine (Flora)
4ozs. Demerara sugar
2 eggs - beaten
4 ozs. self-raising flour (or plain flour + 2 tsps. baking powder) - sifted, + pinch of salt.
1 eating apple - peeled, cored and roughly chopped
a handful of either sultanas or raisins (golden or regular) - (dredged in some of the flour)
few drops of vanilla and almond essence.
1. Cream the sugar and margarine.
2. Add the eggs plus a tablespoon of flour - mix together well.
3. Add the rest of the flour, then the apples and raisins, and the essences.
4. Grease and flour a cake tin and put the batter in, gently smoothing it out.
5. When done - test with a skewer. If it is browning too much, but not cooked through, lightly place a piece of foil over the top and leave a little longer.
6. Cool on a rack.
7. Eat :)