Ingredients: - makes around 24 bix
5 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. of baking powder
1.1/2 cups of caster sugar
1 cup of vegetable oil
1 cup of wine
1.1/2 tsps of vanilla essence
1 egg - lightly beaten
1. Combine all the ingredients except the egg, in a large bowl and knead the dough until smooth.
2. Roll out the dough (either on klingfilm or lightly floured surface) to about 3/8" thick.
3. Using a round cookie (biscuit) cutter, cut out rounds and lay them on a lightly greased baking sheet.
4. Using a pastry brush, brush each biscuit with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake until golden, approximately 20 mins.
Lovely served with tea or coffee.
Store in an air-tight tin.
Recipe taken from: A Pied Noir Cookbook (Chantal Clabrough)