Ingredients: - makes approx. 12 cup or fairy cakes
1.1/3 cups of Plain Flour (all purpose flour)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup of sugar (or about 3/4 cup if you don't like them too sweet)
1/4 cup of room temperature butter
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla and
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 cup of Buttermilk
1. Sift the flour and stir in with the baking soda and salt.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together
3. Beat in the egg, vanilla and almond extracts - beat until smooth - adding a little of the flour to stop it curdling.
4. Add half the flour mix to the butter mix and combine.
5. Add the buttermilk and mix well.
6. Divide the batter evenly between the muffins cups (don't overfill the cups - just over halfway is probably about right) - and bake until becoming golden - test with a skewer to see whether cooked through.
7. Cool completely before frosting - although they are very nice plain too.
The above pic is obviously the undecorated cupcakes - but I have put a small piece of milk chocolate into each one (which you cant see as it's covered in cake). I think they look a bit uninspiring, but they taste lovely, and am going to try and bake one large cake with the recipe. I also think these store better, (in a cake tin), as undecorated cakes - you can always make some in advance and decorate them as and when needed.
nb: please don't use Buttermilk Soap in this recipe :) - I just liked the picture!