Sunday 29 November 2009

Apple & Cranberry Pie - American Recipe



While having a big sort-out - I found this recipe in my collection ......... I originally jotted it down in 1983! while we were in New York. As you'll probably guess, I haven't made it in a long time (!) but I do remember when I did make it - it was really good! I'm so pleased I re-found it as I intend making another one for Christmas!

The pie/s are made with Hot Water Crust pastry.

Oven: 400F - 40-45 mins. (approx.)

Ingredients:

Pastry:
5 cups of unsifted SR Flour
1 tsp. salt
2 egg yolks

Boil together
1.1/2 cups of water &
3/4 cup of vegetable shorteneing

Add the boiling water mix to the dry ingredients to make the pastry -
Roll out, on a floured surface, for either small tarts or one large pie - (save approx. half the pastry for the lid/s).
Leave to rest in the fridge for about 30 mins.

Meanwhile make The Filling:
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
8 cups of apples - peeled and diced/chopped
12 ozs. of Fresh cranberries
2 tbls. melted butter
1/3 cup of flour

(+ 1 beaten egg for glazing)

Combine all the filling ingredients (except the egg).
Fill pie or small tarts and put the lids on - crimp the edges to seal and slash the tops for steam to escape.
Brush with the beaten egg.

Bake till richly brown and serve with custard or a lovely double cream - or creme anglaise if you have the time to make some.

2 comments:

D said...

happened upon your blog..your pie reminds me of my Grandmothers favorite(and mine)...cranberry raisin pie...yummy! this needs to be quick, snowy and COLD today..16 degrees F. Our young corgi is outside, and need to scoop her up and carry her in...see you knit...YES, will be back to see your projects. I'm up to my eyes in yarn...3 knitted Christmas stockings done, and shawl for my daughters birthday next week...D.

BeadBag said...

Thank you so much - I hope you try out the apple pie - it really was good.