1/2lb. - 1lb. leftover cooked chicken - cut into chunks -
(6 chicken thighs - using uncooked/raw chicken)
1 large white onion - chopped very fine, or blitzed in the processor
couple of cloves of garlic - ditto above
1/2" piece of root ginger - peeled/chopped small - ditto above
2 tbls. sunflower oil (or vegetable oil)
couple of tablespoons of water
2tsps. ground cumin
2 tsps. ground corriander
2 tsps. turmeric
2 tsps. garam masala
6 tomatoes roughly chopped
Juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and black pepper
Steamed basmati rice to serve.
1. Heat the oil and fry over the onion, garlic and ginger, for 3 - 4 mins. - until they begin to soften. Stir frequently so it doesn't brown.
Add 2 tbls. water to make a textured paste.
2. Add the spices - stirring frequently, until the paste begins to golden.
3. Add the tomatoes, 300ml. water - season well with salt and black pepper, bring to the boil and add the chicken pieces and lemon juice.
4. Cover and cook on a medium heat - stir occasionally so it doesn't stick -
25-30 mins if using raw chicken,
10 - 15mins. if using leftover cooked chicken.
5. If you like things a little sweeter, add some black molasses (a good tablespoon) -
once the curry is cooked.
Add some chopped corriander on top to serve.
Serve with steamed Basmati rice.
For a smaller amount of leftover chicken - just adjust the amounts accordingly.