Sunday 17 August 2014

Amish Sugar Cookies (sort of !)

Oven: 200 deg.C : 400 deg.F
Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1.1/2 cups of white sugar
1 cup of vegetable oil
1 cup of either buttermilk, OR half whole milk yogurt and fromage frais
1 tablespoon of baking powder
3 cups of plain (all purpose) flour
1 tsp. of vanilla extract

some Demerara sugar mixed with cinnamon for sprinkling on top of batter.

1. Beat together the eggs, sugar and oil.  This already begins to look like thick custard.
2. Add the buttermilk and baking powder
3. Beat in the flour.  Let the batter stand for 5 mins.
4. Butter a traybake tray and ladle the mixture in.  It shouldn't quite reach the top of the tin.
5. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over and bake until golden, feels firm and springs back slightly when touched.  The cake should just be shrinking from the sides of the tin*
6. Cool slightly and cut into squares.  (These are lovely when still warm :) )
batter

buttered tin

ready for the oven

baked!
 
*cake just shrinking from the sides

cut into squares when cool, then leave till cold.
I found this recipe on jollieprimitives.com* and made half the recipe just to try them out.  I found the batter was like a thick custard and decided to pour it into a traybake tray and bake it that way. The batter wasn't  stiff enough as a dough.  
This is not a crisp cookie/biscuit but just inbetween a cake and biscuit.  Whether I made them correctly I'm not sure! but they have a very nice taste - (I tweaked the original recipe slightly).............
 and had enough mixture for another small bake.   
 


* Have since found another website with another recipe: link

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if my last comment got posted so let's try it again.

My grandmother made these as cookies when I was a child and I just turned 68 years old. She would beat several egg whites till stiff and fold them into the batter to make it stiffer, then she would pour it onto a cookie sheet in circles about the size of a CD. Instead of using cinnamon sugar she would use large crystal white sugar (not sure if it's still available) and they were DELICIOUS !!! She actually called them Sugar Cakes.

I've been looking for this recipe for about 20 years but my family didn't seem to feel I was privy to it so I've been SEARCHING FOREVER.

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!
Rebecca

BeadBag said...

thank you so much too Rebecca. I'm so pleased you managed to 'eventually' find the recipe. I have several books with Amish recipes, which I love. Kindest regards.