2 large eggs
1.1/2 cups of white sugar
1 cup of vegetable oil
1 cup of either buttermilk, OR half whole milk yogurt and fromage frais
1 tablespoon of baking powder
3 cups of plain (all purpose) flour
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
some Demerara sugar mixed with cinnamon for sprinkling on top of batter.
1. Beat together the eggs, sugar and oil. This already begins to look like thick custard.
2. Add the buttermilk and baking powder
3. Beat in the flour. Let the batter stand for 5 mins.
4. Butter a traybake tray and ladle the mixture in. It shouldn't quite reach the top of the tin.
5. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over and bake until golden, feels firm and springs back slightly when touched. The cake should just be shrinking from the sides of the tin*
6. Cool slightly and cut into squares. (These are lovely when still warm :) )
|ready for the oven|
|*cake just shrinking from the sides|
|cut into squares when cool, then leave till cold.|
This is not a crisp cookie/biscuit but just inbetween a cake and biscuit. Whether I made them correctly I'm not sure! but they have a very nice taste - (I tweaked the original recipe slightly).............
and had enough mixture for another small bake.
* Have since found another website with another recipe: link