4 ozs. (110 g) soft margerine (Olio, Flora or similar - make sure it's ok for baking)
4 ozs. demerara sugar
2 medium eggs
4ozs. self-raising flour
1 sweet apple - peeled, cored and chopped
2 - 3 tablespoons of raisins
1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
tablespoon or two of plain yogurt, milk or warm water*, if mixture is too thick
1. Cream sugar and fat together.
2. Beat eggs and add them one at a time with a small amount of the flour. This should stop the mixture from curdling.
3. Add vanilla. (A few drops of both vanilla and almond essence is also nice.)
4. Dredge the raisins in flour and add both to the mix with the chopped apple. Stir in, adding either a little milk, yogurt or warm water if the mixture looks a little thick.
5. Grease and flour a smallish cake tin/dish and bake until cooked - test the centre with a skewer.
6. Leave to cool, remove and store in an airtight container.
While it's still warm you can drizzle some Maple Syrup over the top - - yummy.