2 cups of whole milk
3 tablspns. Birds custard powder
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
3/4 cup of sugar or 1/2 cup of sugar plus some maple syrup/honey - to taste
pinch of salt
1/2 cup of double cream
or 1/2 cup of single cream plus 1/2 cup of whole milk = 'half and half' (US)
1 tsp. vanilla essence
6 ozs. milk or plain chocolate - chopped
1. In a small bowl, mix the custard powder and some of the cold milk to a smooth paste and set aside. Do the same with the cocoa, using more of the cold milk. Put the remaining milk on to a low heat to start warming through, adding the sugar and stir until dissolved.
2. Add the warmed milk to the custard powder and return to the pan.
3. Add in the cocoa mix. Stirring well continuously. Dont boil.
4. Add the double cream and pinch of salt - stirring well together to blend, then keep stirring gently until smooth(ish) - - the heat will make it completely smooth.
5. Add the chopped chocolate - keep stirring until melted.
6. Gently bring up the heat - stirring constantly - until it becomes a shiny and smooth, thick custard. Remove it from the heat at this point. Continue to stir.
7. Pour into 6 ramekins or one large dish and cool, then chill in the fridge till 'set'. (This doesn't set solid but is more like a thick custard cream).
Serve or decorate with marshmallows - to dip in.