Saturday, 30 March 2013
Oven: 190 deg.C
4.1/2 ozs. (approx. 127 g.) butter - softened
5 ozs. (approx. 141 g.) caster sugar
2 medium eggs
4 ozs. (approx.113g.) self-raising flour - sifted
1 tsp. Vanilla
grated rind of 1 lemon and 1/2 its juice
1/2 lb. (approx. 225 g.) fresh plums - halved and stoned
1 oz. (approx. 28 g.) caster sugar
1 tablspn. ground almonds
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1. Cream the butter and sugar well.
2. Beat in the eggs a little at a time, with a spoon of flour - to stop the mixture curdling. Add the rest of the flour. (If you find the mixture is a little thick, just add some hotish/warm water until you have the right consistency).
3. Mix in the vanilla, lemon juice and rind.
4. Pour into greased and floured baking tin/dish and bake for 15 minutes.
5. Topping: Mix the caster sugar, ground almonds, cinnamon together.
6. Very carefully pull the cake slightly out of oven and place the halved plums (skin down) on to the cake and sprinkle the topping over. Be really careful when you do this, as - I usually manage to burn my fingers!
7. Bake for another 30 mins or so, until the cake is done - test with a skewer.
Some of the plums will sink - but dont worry about this it will still taste really yum.
Serve either hot with cream or eat cold - great either way.