|Ottolenghi's Recipe - click here for more recipes and Blog|
Ingredients: - serves 2
4 baby potatoes (140g) - boiled (approx. 25 mins), drained and cooled
4 small shallots (100g) - boiled in same water as above - for about 10 mins. - drain & cool
40g caster sugar
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
60g goats cheese - sliced
Puff Pastry sheet - rolled thinly and cut to shape
Olive Oil, salt and pepper
2 shallow individual tins or pans - approx. 10cm. in diameter and 2 cm. deep - brush with olive oil.
1. Cut the potatoes in halves horizontally.
2. In a small pan cook the butter and sugar on a high flame, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. When you get a dark caramel colour, carefully divide it between your two individual tins, allowing it to spread over the base.
3. Scatter the thyme leaves over the caramel.
4. Place the potatoes closely together on the caramel/thyme (cut side down) and press the chopped shallots into the gaps between the potatoes. Season well.
5. Cover with the goats cheese, then the puff pastry - tucking the excess pastry in well. At this stage you can chill them for up to 24 hrs..
6. Place the tarts on an oven tray and place in a preheated oven for 15 minutes. Continue for another 5 mins. at 180 deg. C Poke gently inside the pastry to check that it is cooked through. It may need leaving a little longer.
7. Remove the tarts from the oven and place a reversed plate on top and carefully turn over.
Remove the tin and serve warm.