Monday, 13 March 2017
Oven: 170 deg.C -
Approx. 45 mins, baking time
200g. (approx. 7 ozs.) Butter- room temperature
130g. (approx. 4.5 ozs.) Caster Sugar - or Golden Granulated
50g. (2 ozs.) Caster Sugar or Golden Granulated
2 tsps. Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup of plain yogurt
200g. (approx. 7 ozs.) Self-Raising Flour + 1 tsp. Baking Powder
1. Whisk the egg whites until frothy.
Add the 50g. of sugar and continue whisking until almost peak stiff.
2. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and 130g. of sugar together until pale and creamy.
3. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, whisking well in between.
4. Whisk in the Vanilla.
5. Gently fold in 1/3 of the flour and 1/3 of the yogurt. Alternate until combined.
6. Gently fold in 1/2 of the egg whites, then the other half - do not overmix.
7. Pour the batter into a paper liner, or your tin, and level with a spatula. Drop the pan a few times (gently) on your worktop, just to remove any air bubbles.
8. Bake for approximately 45 mins. Your skewer should come out clean when inserted into the middle. You can also 'listen' to the cake (!) to hear whether it is still cooking - if so - leave it a little longer.
Cool on a wire rack.