Thursday, 10 November 2016
Apple Cake - Sponge cake with oil
12ozs. of apples - peeled and roughly chopped
3ozs. of butter
3ozs. demerara or golden caster sugar - - more, (or less) depending on how sweet your apples are
1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon - (this seems a lot, but it's fine.)
pinch of salt
1. Melt the butter and saute the apples and sugar, add the cinnamon and cook gently for a few minutes until the sugar has melted and the apples are just becoming soft. Set aside.
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil (sunflower is fine too)
1 tablespoon of hot, then cooled slightly, water
4 ozs. caster sugar
3 ozs. self-raising flour - sifted
finely grated lemon rind
1. Beat the eggs and sugar together.
2. Add the oil and water, and beat in.
3. Add the sifted flour and beat or stir in gently., adding the lemon rind.
4. Butter an ovenproof pan and put the apples on the bottom.
5. Pour over the sponge batter and spread gently so it virtually covers all the apples.
6. Bake until the sponge is cooked and firm - test with a skewer to see that it is cooked through. It will be nicely golden.
This is lovely either eaten hot or cold - with cream/custard :o)
*This is the same apple mixture as my Apple Upside Down Cake.