Potato and Mushroom Croquettes
1.1/2 lbs potatoes - (not waxy ones) - peeled and chopped
1 onion - peeled and finely chopped
1/4 lb. mushrooms (chestnut pref.)
1 tsp. oil
1 tblsp. water
salt/pepper - to taste
1 cup of matzot meal (or cornmeal)
oil for frying (shallow)
1. Boil the potatoes until tender, drain and mash.
2. In a separate pan - pour in the oil and water, heat, and cook the mushrooms for about 3 mins.
3. In a large bowl mix the mashed potatoes, chopped onions and mushrooms, (add the cooking liquid, if any, a little at a time for right consistency), seasonings and matzot or cornmeal.
4. Form into croquettes / patties.You could also finely coat the outside with meal - or flour if not using for Passover.
5. Fry for about 8 mins on each side.
serve hot as a main with salads or a side veg. with meat or poultry.