Tuesday, 13 October 2015
Beetroot Soup - easy and delicious .....
bunch of beets (about 4 or 5) - peeled and quartered* - can also add stems and leaves, if available, and they look fresh, but should remove these before liquidising, if they seem stringy.
2 sticks of celery (peeled if stringy)
1 onion - peeled and chopped
1 large potato - peeled and chopped
Water - approx. 2pts. + some extra
1/2 cup of sugar
lemon juice - to taste
salt, pepper - season to taste
1. Place the first 5 ingredients into your saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil and simmer approx.40 mins - 1hr. until the beets and other veg are soft.
3. Add the sugar and lemon juice
4. Liquidise (add more water if necessary) and season well. The soup should be beautifully creamy.
Serve - Hot or Cold - with sweet or sour cream - Delicious! and the Colour is beautiful :)
This soup keeps pretty well in the fridge for several days, and probably improves with age!
* I have made this soup without peeling the beets. They are easier to peel when they're cooked, and once the soup is liquidised, it doesn't seem to have made much difference.