Saturday 19 September 2015

Japanese Cheesecake

 

I found this recipe at "allrecipes.com" and thought I would give it a try. It uses very little cream cheese (and, actually not a large amount of any ingredient.)

It tastes rather like a very light, fluffy omelette, rather than a solid cake.  Although it is a little moreish, I think I will stick to my traditional cheesecake recipe, but this was nice to try.

Oven: 175 deg.C - 20 mins. then 150 deg. C for about 15 mins.

Ingredients:
3ozs. cream cheese
1/4 cup of milk (semi-skimmed is fine)
2 eggs - separated
1/4 cup of caster sugar (fine white)
1/3 tsp. Cream of Tartar
3 tablespoons of Plain or Self-Raising Flour  (I used SR)
1.1/2 tablespoons of Cornflour (Cornstarch)

1. Place the cream cheese and milk in a small saucepan, and melt over a gentle heat - stirring.  Set aside.

2. In another bowl, beat the yolks and half of the sugar until lighter and creamy.

3. Fold into the cream cheese mix and sift in the flour and cornflour - stir (or using an electric beater) - whisk till blended, but dont overbeat.
This really doesn't look as though it's going to be enough to make a cake - but it does.(!)

4. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks, add the remaining sugar and whisk the whites until stiff peaks.  Fold into the cream cheese mix.

5.  Pour into a cake tin (I used a largeish one, as I didn't know how high this would rise)
and bake for approx. 20 mins at 175 C then lower the temperature to 150 C for another 15 mins.
When ready, the cake should feel 'firm' when gently touched - test with a skewer too, to see whether it comes out clean - then it is baked.
Leave it to cool in the tin.

I usually use paper cases, (as above pic.), so it's easier to lift the cake out, although I dont ever think the shape is as neat as just greasing and flouring and baking in the actual tin.






No comments: