Wednesday, 30 September 2015
Apple Cake (2)
Oven: 350 deg.F / 160 deg.C
Ingredients: Half Quantity:
3 cups of Self-Raising Flour 1.1/2 cups
(or Plain Flour + 2 tsps. baking powder)
1/2 tsp. salt (dont add this if using salted butter) 1/4 tsp.
2 tsps. ground cinnamon 1 tsp.
1 tsp. ground ginger 1 tsp. - didn't change this quantity)
1.1/4 cups of demerara sugar 1/2 cup + half of 1/4 cup
3/4 cup of vegetable oil (sunflower is fine) 1/4 cup + half of 1/4 cup
8 tblspns. melted butter 4 tblspns
2 large eggs - beaten 1 large egg
2 tsps. vanilla 1 tsp.
3 cups approx. (peeled and cored apples) - whizzed in food processor 1.1/2 cups
or coarsely grated apples
1 cup chopped walnuts, if wanted 1/2 cup
1. Stir together the flour, (baking powder), salt and spices.
2. In a separate large bowl combine the sugar, oil, melted butter, eggs and vanilla and beat until blended.
3. Stir in the flour, apples and nuts, if using. This mixture will be very thick.
4. 'Dollop' into your baking tin and gently smooth over with a knife. Drop the tin gently on your worktop, so as to even out the mixture.
5. Bake for approx. 45 mins (maybe longer) - until the top springs back slightly and is nicely golden.
6. Cool the cake in the tin, and sift with icing sugar when cold.
I've been using paper liners so that I dont need to grease and flour the tins - this does make life a little easier, though you dont always get such a neat shape to the baked cake.