3 tblspns. olive oil
4 sliced onions
1 aubergine - slice in 1/2 lengthways then into 1/2" thick semi-circles
1 courgette, sliced into 1/2" thick rounds
800g (1lb.12.1/2ozs.) tomatoes cut in half
1 x 400g tin of flageolet beans - drained
1 x 400g tin of haricot beans - drained
50g butter (1.3/4 ozs.)
1 large carrot cut into ribbons, using a veg. peeler or mandoline
2 cooked beetroots, sliced into 1/2" thick rounds
6 springs of fresh thyme, salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a lidded casserole - medium heat - add the onions and fry for about 4 - 5 mins. until they begin to go golden brown.
2. Add 500 ml. (18 fl.oz) water and bring to the boil, reduce the heat until the water simmers and simmer gently for about 20 mins. - until the water has all but evaporated.
3. Heat another 4 tablspns. of the oil in a separate p[an and add the aubergine in batches and fry until lightly coloured on both sides - 5 - 6 mins. Repeat the process with the courgettes. Set aside.
4. Add the tomato halves to the stewed onions, season well and cover the casserole with the lid and cook for 8 - 10 mins or until cooked through.
5. Add the beans to the onions, then stir in the courgettes and aubergines.
6. Melt the butter and the remaining oil in a frying pan - stir in the carrot ribbons until completely coated in the oil then arrange them in a tangle on top of the casserole.
7. Cook the beets 4 - 5 mins, and arrange them among the carrots.
Sprinkle some fresh thyme over.
Bake the complete hotpot for 45 - 60 mins until the veg on top have turned crispy and the casserole has thickened.