This recipe is by Lorraine Pascale -
looks like a lot of ingredients but also looked just delicious -
from the BBC programme The Hairy Bikers and Lorraine Pascale - - - super recipes.
Ingredients for filling:
1 tblspn. of oil
1 leek trimmed and finely chopped
2 carrots - finely chopped
150g (5.1/2 ozs) chestnut mushrooms - roughly chopped (not too small)
1 large garlic clove - finely chopped
3 fresh sage leaves and 3 springs fresh thyme leaves
1 x 400g tin of Puy green lentils - drained
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
300ml. (10 fl.oz) veggie stock
250ml. (9 fl.oz) red wine
1 tbls. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbls. soy sauce
1 tsp. chilli flakes (optional)
1 tsp. sugar (optional), honey or maple syrup
salt and ground black pepper
2 sweet potatoes (approx.500g. - 1lb.2oz. total)
2 floury potatoes (approx 500g in total) - cut into chunks
1/2 small cauliflower - remove leaves and separate into florets
knob of unsalted butter
salt and black pepper
1 tbls. grated parmesan (optional)
1. heat the oil in a frying pan over med. heat and add the leeks and fry for 4-5 mins. or just beginning to soften.
2. Add the carrots, mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook, stirring - 4-5 mins.
3. Add the chopped sage and thyme and lentils, tomatoes, stock and red wine. Stir together. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat until it simmers and continue to simmer for 18-20 mins.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C (180F/Gas 6)
5. Add the sweet potato chunks to a pan of boiling water and boil for approx. 8-10 mins. Add the cauliflower and continue to boil until the veggies are tender. Drain and return to the pan.
6. Add butter and seasoning then mash until smooth.
7. Stir in the Worc. and Soy sauces, chilli and sugar - simmer 1 or 2 mins. adding a little water if the mix is too dry. Season to taste.
8. Transfer the filling to an ovenproof dish and spoon over the topping and spread evenly.
9. Bake for 18-20 mins or until the topping is becoming golden brown and the filling is bubbling.