Tuesday, 9 September 2014
Pumpkin Dump Cake - plus White & Yellow Cakes - from scratch
I saw a Pumpkin Dump Cake photo, on Pinterest, and naturally, was curious to know what it was. I love US recipes - - and it seems to use a ready-bought-cakemix of Yellow Cake added on top of the other ingredients - pretty good for a quick cake.
Living in the UK - we don't usually use the terms 'white' and 'yellow' cakes, (or Dump Cake, for that matter! :) ) - so I had to check out those recipes too, and have given them below - making them from scratch.
I'm not actually quite sure what the difference is between the white and yellow cakes - if anyone can let me know - please do .................
- here's the recipes .....
Pumpkin Dump Cake : Oven 175 deg.C (350 deg.F) : 9x13 " pan : bake - 50 mins.
1 x 29 oz. can of pumpkin puree
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup of white sugar
1 x 12 fl.ozs. can of evaporated milk
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. of ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1 x 18.25 ozs. pack of Spice Cake Mix or Yellow Cake Mix
1/2 cup of chopped pecans
1.2 cup of melted butter
1. Combine pumpkin, eggs, brown and white sugars and milk.
2. Add spices and salt.
3. Pour into your baking dish - and sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over the pumpkin filling.
4. Drizzle the melted butter over the top.
5. Bake in a preheated over for 50 - 60 mins. or until the edges are lightly browned. Allow to cool.
Yellow Cake : Oven 175 deg.C : 9"x13" pan
2 cups of all-purpose flour - Plain Flour
1.1/2 cups of white sugar
1/2 cup of shortening (butter or white vegetable fat)
1 cup of milk
3.1/2 tps. baking powder
1 tsp. salt,
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. Cream the fat and sugar until fluffy and light.
3. Add the beaten eggs and milk with some of the flour.
4. Add the rest of the flour, and mix until well combined.
5. Add the vanilla and Pour the batter into your greased and floured baking dish.
6. Bake for 40 - 45 mins. Cool.
Basic White Cake - Oven: 175deg.C : 9" x 13" pan
1 cup of white sugar
1/2 cup of butter
2 tsps. vanilla
1.1/2 cups of Plain Flour
1.3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup of milk
1. Cream the fat and sugar.
2. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
3. Combine the flour and baking powder and add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
4. Stir in the milk until the batter is smooth, and pour or spoon into your prepared baking dish.
5. Bake for 30 - 40 mins in a preheated oven.
For 'fairy cakes' or cupcakes - bake 20-25 mins.
Test both cakes with a skewer to see whether cooked through the skewer should come out clean, and the cake should spring back slightly to the touch.