Thursday, 31 October 2013
Ingredients for Filling:
'windfall' apples are just right! - or - 2 large cooking apples
100g (3.5 ozs.) caster sugar
1 tablespoon of Cornflour
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
packet (or two) of Bought Puff or Flaky Pastry
1 egg plus 1 tablespoon of water
Topping: Glace Icing
2ozs. icing sugar (60g) - sifted
approx. 1 tablespoon of water - Mix together till smooth.
1. Peel, core and slice the apples.
2. Cook the apples over a low heat, with the sugar, cornflour, lemon juice and cinnamon. Stir frequently until the apples are tender. Set aside to cool.
3. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface, and cut into four 6" (15cm.) squares) - or however many you have for the amount of apples.
4. Brush some of the egg/water mix over the squares.
5. Spoon about 1/8 of the apple mixture into the centre of the squares and fold diagonally in half and press the edges to seal. Place on an ungreased baking tray and chill them in the fridge. When ready ..........
6. Brush the Turnovers with the egg mix and bake for about 20 minutes until the pastry is golden. Cool on a wire rack.
7. Drizzle the icing over the top of the Turnovers.