Thursday, 26 September 2013
Valentine Warner Eats Scandinavia
"Valentine Warner Eats Scandinavia" is a super new series on Good Food Channel - some terrific recipes and a lovely look at Scandinavia - food and landscape. Here's one of his recipes - most are pretty simple and look just delicious.
Salmon Scotch Egg
500g fillet of salmon - very finely chopped (food processor)
1 medium egg yolk
1 medium egg
4 tbls. plain flour seasoned with 1 tsp of salt
1 egg beaten for egg wash
4 tbls. toasted breadcrumbs
sunflower oil for deep frying - parsley to garnish
1. Flatten the salmon with a knife until it's completely minced (or use a food processor)
2. Place the salmon in a bowl and add the egg yolk - mix thoroughly and season with salt and black pepper.
3. Boil the egg in a pan of hot water for a couple of minutes until it's parboiled, peel and dry it thoroughly and sprinkle with salt.
4. Pack the salmon mixture very gently around the egg.
5. Roll the egg carefully in the flour, then in the egg wash - coating it thoroughly, then in the breadcrumbs.
6. Fill a saucepan 2/3 full with funflower oil and set over a med. heat. When the oil is hot, and has reach 170 deg.C - use a slotted spoon to lower the egg into the pan, and deep fry for 7 minutes until golden brown.
7. When done, remove the egg from the pan and place it on a piece of kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
8. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve.