Baking time: 30 - 35 mins approx.
Angel Cake tin preferably - (with hole in centre)
2 ozs. self-raising flour (50g)
3.1/2 ozs. caster sugar (approx. 99g)
1. Sift these ingredients together.*
6 egg whites + pinch of salt
3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
3ozs. caster sugar
3 drops of vanilla essence and 2 drops of almond essence
2. Whisk eggs whites and salt until foamy.
3. Add the caster sugar - about 2 tbls. at a time, then add the essences.
Continue whisking until the whites reach the 'peak' stage
4. Carefully fold in the flour and sugar *
5. Turn in to a clean, dry tin (not greased) and gently level the surface. Draw a knife carefully through the mix to break any air bubbles
6. Bake. When the cake is done, turn it upside down on to a wire rack - it should drop out as it cools.
Leave till cold.
3 - 4 ozs. good plain chocolate
1 - 2 tblspns. water
1. Melt the chocolate gently in a bain-marie - (over hot water - don't let the base of your bowl touch the hot water)
Stir gently until shiny and smooth.
2. then add
1/2 pt. double (thick) cream - whipped until beginning just thick - (don't overbeat)
Add 1 dessert spoon of caster sugar - whip in - should be 'peaky' - but not too stiff - should just hold its shape.
3. Gently mix the cream and the chocolate together.
4. Cut the cake in half - carefully - and spread over some of the filling - use the remaining filling for the outside, and
Fill the centre with fresh fruit i.e. strawberries, raspberries - your choice - with extra fruit on the side - some pouring cream over the whole lot - (not gilding the lily of course :) ).
This cake is delicious!
This isn't my pic.unfortunately - but mine looks like this one before the choc!