Makes - 8-10 Fat Rascals!
250g plain flour
1.1/2 tsps. baking powder
75g golden caster sugar
50g mixed citrus peel (good quality)
150ml. whipping cream or 150ml. sour cream or crème fraiche
1 beaten egg
glace cherries and whole blanched almonds for decoration
cookie cutter about 3" dia.
1. Grease and line a baking sheet.
2. Rub the butter into the flour till it is 'breadcrumbed'
3. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix well
4. Add the cream and mix to a firm dough.
5. Roll the dough out on a floured board to about 1" thick and cut out rounds.
You can also shape the Rascals by hand, making a small ball and flatten it out slightly into a sort of 'bap' roll shape.
6. Arrange them on your baking sheet and glaze generously with the beaten egg
7. Top with halved glace cherries, pushing them gently down - add the almonds too. (see above pic.)
8. Cool and you can store them in an airtight tin for up to 4 days.
|'The Institution' of Betty's Tea Rooms in Harrogate, Yorkshire.|