Oven: 180 deg.C (350F)
Baking Time - approx 45mins to 1 hr.
200g (7ozs) plain flour + 2 tsps. baking powder
200g. (7ozs.) demerara sugar
1 rounded teaspoon of ground ginger
1 tsp bicarb of soda
55g. (2ozs) melted butter
2 medium eggs - beaten
2 tblspns. of maple syrup
240ml. (9fl.ozs) hot water
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together
2. Add the wet ingredients - stir in gently. Adding the hot water a small amount at a time while mixing.
3. Pour into a greased loaf tin and bake.
4. When done, touch the centre top gently to see if 'set' then test with a skewer just to make sure it's cooked through.
5. When slightly cooled, skewer some holes in the cake and drizzle maple syrup over. Using a soft pastry brush, brush the top of the cake so it looks glazed.
This cake is very light and a little sticky and crumbly - and tastes delicious - you can even have it with butter on!