"Gok Cooks Chinese" is a lovely book.
Here's his recipe for Simple Soy-Glazed Chicken
Ingredients - Serves 4
- 4-6 chicken thighs, skin removed
- Neutral oil such as groundnut or peanut oil, for frying
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ red chilli, finely sliced
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 2cm piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 75ml dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- Spring onions, finely sliced diagonally
- Chilli, finely sliced diagonally
- Slash the chicken thighs with three lines along the meatiest side.
- Heat a large wok over a high heat and add a dash of oil. Add the chicken and colour on all sides to seal the meat. Remove and leave to one side.
- Fry the garlic, chilli, spring onion and ginger for 30 seconds in the hot wok, adding a little more oil if necessary, tossing now and again.
- Put the chicken back in the wok. Add the soy, along with 6 tablespoons of hot water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer, turning now and again for 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce reduced.
- Remove the chicken, brush each thigh with a little honey and serve garnished with shredded spring onions and chilli.