This recipe is from the Alpine region of Haute-Savoie in France - it is completely delicious!
It makes a wonderful light snack with a lovely dressed green salad.
Below is the Roblochon cheese used in the recipe.
Ingredients: - serves 4 - oven 200 deg.C (400 F)
1/5 kg medium sized Desiree potatoes - any good potato that doesn't fall apart when boiled
1 white onion - peeled and chopped
2 rashers of smoked streaky bacon or lardons
1 clove of garlic -peeled and cut in two
salt, black pepper
1 ripe Roblochon Cheese
1. Boil the potatoes in their skins until just cooked through - make sure the centers are not hard.
2. Saute the onion and bacon in the butter till softened - do not brown them.
3. Drain the cooled potatoes and peel them. Cut into thick slices.
4. Butter an ovenproof dish, using the garlic too, and layer half the sliced potatoes over the base. Season.
5. Scatter the onion and bacon over. Add the remaining pots and season.
6. Place slices of the Roblochon on top and bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180 deg.C (350F). The cheese should melt (with its skin) and drip down on to the pots. The potatoes can crisp slightly.
This is completely delicious!
Obviously Vegetarians can make this but without the bacon! :)