250g (9ozs) unsalted butter
170g (just under 6ozs.) light muscovado sugar
125 ml. (4.5 fl.ozs) milk
225g (8 ozs.) SR flour
2 tsps ground ginger
125g. (4.5 ozs.) trimmed rhubarb, and cut into small pieces
30g (1.5 ozs.) light muscovado sugar
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp[. vanilla extract
75g (3ozs.) unsalted butter
150g (5 ozs.) golden icing sugar + 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Using an electric whisk cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs, then slowly add the milk.
3. Fold in the flour and ginger - to combine.
4. Pipe the mixture into the cases and bake for 20-25 mins. Test with a skewer to make sure they are cooked all through. Leave to cool for about 5 mins.
Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat gently to boiling. Leave to bubble, and reduce, for 2-3 mins. Once the rhubarb has softened and the liquid has gone syrupy, remove from the heat and leave to completely cool.
In a large bowl, cream the butter on medium speed and blend in the sugar, 1/4 at a time - beating well. Add the vanilla and continue beating until light and fluffy. Keep the icing covered until ready to decorate the cakes.
5. Using a 2cm. wide cutter, cut 1cm. into the middle of each cake (for the compote). Spoon the compote into the hole and replace the 'lids'. Pipe the vanilla frosting over the top.