Makes 24 x 5" biscuits
Oven: 180 C, 350 deg.F, Gas No.4
1/3 cup of vegetable shortening
1 cup of light brown sugar
1.1/2 cups of molasses*
2/3 cup of water
6 cups of sifted flour
2 tsps. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1. Mix the shortening, sugar, molasses and water in a large bowl, and blend thoroughly.
2. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients - a cup of flour at a time - mixing well.
4. Pat into a large ball, adding more flour if needed. Refrigerate for approx. and hour or till ready to use.
5. Roll out and cut into any shapes and decorate as you fancy.
6. Bake for approx. 15 mins. - depending on the thickness of the dough.
Recipe: Jewish Holiday Kitchen - Joan Nathan