Monday, 30 May 2011
Dutch Apple Cake and Amsterdam
50g caster sugar
2 tbls. lemon juice
1 tbls. grated lemon zest
150g granulated sugar
250 ml. sunflower oil
250g plain flour
2 tsps. baking powder
1 tsp. any of these to your taste: mixed spice, cinnamon, ginger
750g cooking apples - peeled, 1/4'd and sliced
50g flaked almonds
1. Heat oven to 170 deg.C
2. Beat eggs and caster sugar for a few minutes until it is nice and aerated.
3. Mix the lemon juice, zest and 100g of the granulated sugar and add to the egg mix, beating well.
4. Add the oil, beating till well incorporated.
5. Sift in the flour, baking powder, and spice - fold in well.
6. Put half the batter into a deep sided 23 cm greased baking tin and add half the apples.
7. Spoon in the remaining batter and cover with the the rest of the apples.
8. Scatter with the remaining 50g sugar and flaked almonds or crumble topping*.
Bake for 1.1/2 hrs. approx.
Turn off the heat, partly open the door and leave to cool in the oven.
*Basic Crumble Topping: