Oven: 190 deg. C (gas 6)
175g demerara sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
75 ml. milk
melted together & cooled slightly
125g plain flour or less flour and make up a little of the weight with ground almonds
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2.1/4 tsps. baking powder
sift the flour and spices together, then add the ground almonds - if using.
2 cooking apples (small/med.) or 2 dessert apples (eg.Braeburn, Cox's) - peeled, cored and chopped
1. Using an electric mixer - whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick and creamy.
2. Add the slightly cooled milk/butter and mix together.
3. Add the flour - using the mixer add about 1/4 of the flour then stir in the rest by hand. (You can dump all the flour in and beat it with the hand mixer too - but it always comes out slightly lighter, mixing some flour in by hand.)
4. Stir in the chopped apple.
This is a slightly loose mix - pour into your prepared baking dish and bake for approx. 40 - 45 mins. - check after 1/2 hr. to see if the centre is done*. If the cake browns too early - cover lightly with some foil and check regularly until done.
Dust with icing sugar to make it look pretty (although I didn't manage to get that far!)
* press down very lightly and you can usually tell whether the centre still needs cooking. If it feels firm and spongey - then it's done.