Chocolate Cake with Beetroot
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
75g cocoa powder or powdered drinking chocolate
180g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
225g caster sugar
250g cooked beetroot
3 large eggs
200ml sunflower oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C / 335˚F / Gas 4. Sift the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into a bowl.
2. Puree the beetroot in a food processor. Add the eggs, one at a time and next add the vanilla and oil, and blend until smooth. Add the sugar to the mixture.
3. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the beetroot mixture and lightly mix.
4. Pour into a greased and lined 9 inch cake tin. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the top is firm when pressed with a finger.
5. Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar to serve.
by Jane Baxter - Riverford Oganics