Sunday 12 April 2009

Calf's Foot Jelly / Brawn

This is my dad's ancient recipe - which I remember as being delicious but I'm afraid it could probably smell the kitchen out while it's cooking! Keep windows open or using your extractor fan - may help!

It's not really a fashionable dish, but could well be tarted up, cut into large cubes and served with some pretty mixed salad leaves sprinkled with a light vinaigrette. ......... if you like brawn you'll love this. It is very tasty and well worth the effort.

Ingredients:
using a large saucepan -
2 ox legs chopped* - wash and rinse very well and scrub clean (if nec.)
Cover well with cold water
Add:
Approx. 1 tsp tomato ketchup
Approx. 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
Salt.Pepper,
Peppercorns - a good handful.
A few (fresh if possible) Bayleaves
Large pinch of mixed dried herbs
peeled & crushed cloves of garlic - your choice, but approx. 4 would do
About 4 hard boiled eggs - sliced (to decorate) & and few bayleaves


Bring to the boil and cook gently until the meat falls off the bones -
remove the meat and marrow from the bones - discard the bones.
Put the marrow (from inside the bones) back into the stock, which should be really well seasoned.
Mince the meat and put about 1" deep into the base of a rectangular (glass) dish.
Pour over the strained liquid and cool till just setting, then
Place the egg slices with some bayleaves decoratively on top.
Spoon or brush a little of the liquid over the eggs & bayleaves.
Refridgerate until set.

I have to admit I haven't made this for years - the last time my dad made it he did it in my kitchen! but re-finding the recipe while browsing an old handwritten recipebook of mine, I think I might just give it a try again - (might wait till husband's out though!)

If anyone reading this does make it - I'd love to know how it went!

*I'm sure if you check with your butcher you could use pigs trotters or similar.

No comments: